ORLANDO, Fla. – Prosecutors rested their case in the murder trial of the man accused of committing a deadly mass shooting during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando in 2024.
Following two days of testimony, Orange County jurors heard the words, “The State rests,” meaning the defense will now have an opportunity to make its arguments.
Jaylen Edgar, 18, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder.
Edgar was arrested when he was 17, which means he is ineligible for the death penalty.
After excusing the jury for the weekend, Judge Keith Carsten entertained arguments by the defense for a judgment of acquittal on seven of the nine counts.
[WATCH: Prosecutors outline arguments in Orlando Halloween mass shooting trial]
Defense attorney Junior Barrett conceded that there was sufficient evidence to suggest the killing of Tyrek Hill, 25, was premeditated, as well as the attempted murder of Anthony Berry. He argued, however, that Edgar did not intend to kill Timothy Schmidt, Jr., 19, who died after being shot in the chest, or six others who survived their gunshot wounds.
“For some of these individuals who were shot, I think the location of the injury itself would suggest that it was not the intent to kill,” Barrett argued.
Assistant state attorney Brittney Havens pushed back on that argument.
“This is a mass shooting,” Havens said. “The defendant does not get rewarded for missing a vital organ in shooting a hand or a wrist or the back of somebody as he’s running and clearly aiming backwards.”
After hearing arguments from both sides, Carsten denied the request for an acquittal on the seven counts.
“It can be inferred that firing directly at a crowd of people closely packed together is an intent to kill,” Carsten said.
What will the defense do Monday?
After ruling on Barrett’s request for a judgment of acquittal, the judge spoke directly to Edgar about Edgar’s right to testify on his own behalf.
“Ultimately the decision is yours,” Carsten advised. “Whether you decide to testify or whether you decide to exercise your right to remain silent.”
Carsten suggested that Edgar take the weekend to consider his options and consult with his family and attorney.
Earlier in the week, Barrett declined to deliver an opening statement in the trial and suggested that he and Edgar had not yet determined whether Edgar will take the witness stand.
Barrett also signaled that Edgar had previously expressed interest in invoking a not guilty by reason of insanity defense.
Edgar wrote a letter to Carsten last month, in which he took “full responsibility” for the shooting, but claimed he had been suffering from “extreme mental or emotional disturbance” at the time.
Jaylen Edgar’s interrogation played in court
The last witness who testified for the state was Joshua McNutt, who in 2024 was a homicide detective with the Orlando Police Department.
McNutt interviewed Edgar shortly after Edgar’s arrest.
Most of McNutt’s testimony Friday included the presentation of the recorded interview that McNutt and another law enforcement official conducted with Edgar.
When McNutt and the official are seen walking into the room, it appears Edgar had been asleep. McNutt tries to prod Edgar awake, and for the first several minutes of the interview, Edgar’s answers are soft and at times unintelligible.
As the interview progresses, however, the video shows that Edgar appears to be more alert and engaged in the interview. McNutt and Edgar talk about family, friends, school, and sports.
McNutt told prosecutors Friday that he wanted to establish a rapport with Edgar.
Edgar can be heard in the interview telling McNutt that he has experienced a lot of loss, telling the detective at one point that he can think of 19 family members who have died.
“I give myself a round of applause,” Edgar said, remarking on how he has dealt with hardship.
Eventually, the conversation turns to the night of Oct. 31 into Nov. 1.
Edgar tells McNutt that downtown Orlando “was packed,” and he had tripped a few times trying to get through the crowds.
At no point in the video does he appear to confess to the shooting.
“Why am I being detained right now?” Edgar tells McNutt of what was going through his head when he was arrested.
Edgar does concede in the interview that he had a gun on him at the time of his arrest.
After McNutt and other officials inform him of the charges he’s facing, Edgar appears to ask, “How many counts?”
Moments later, Edgar is alone in the room again. He can be seen standing up and walking around. He dances for a few seconds and sits back down.