MARION COUNTY, Fla. – Three Marion County firefighters accused of hazing a rookie colleague pleaded guilty Thursday as part of a plea agreement.
Seth Day, Edward Kenny, and Tate Trauthwein previously pleaded not guilty to battery and false imprisonment. The three pleaded guilty to battery as part of the deal.
Under the agreement, each firefighter received one year of probation and must complete an anti-bullying course and an anger management course. They are also required to complete 100 hours of community service, though they may buy out up to 50 hours at a rate of $25 per hour. The firefighters are also prohibited from having contact with the victim, but may travel for work purposes.
Video captured a 19-year-old firefighter being pinned to the ground during a November incident at Fire Station 21. Deputies said Trauthwein removed the victim’s belt and pulled down his pants. Investigators said the three firefighters also beat the victim and prevented him from leaving.
According to investigators, the victim was waterboarded — a towel was placed over his head while a full jug of water was poured on him, and the only reason the firefighters released him was that an emergency call came in.
A fourth firefighter, Kalyee Bradley, was charged with robbery for allegedly taking the victim’s phone. Deputies said the group was trying to access the device to view a potentially embarrassing TikTok video. Those charges against Bradley were later dropped.
Six other Marion County Fire Rescue employees also lost their jobs in connection with the incident.